Tuesday 26 January 2010

Ladies who lunch

I took a day off work today and had lunch with the girls. We have known each other for almost 30 years so we always have a good giggle about times gone by, our eighties shoulderpads and solid hairspray flicks, our dreadful choices of ex-boyfriends and the qualities good and bad of the ones we have now. A lovely meal, a few glasses of wine, the sun shining and life begins to look much brighter. Just what I needed - even my cold has finally disappeared. I will go to the office tomorrow with a positive attitude and try not to let the idiot boss wind me up anymore.

One such story that I was reminded of is when we were at college and I had a crush on a boy called Darren. I had it so bad that I would blush beetroot if he ever entered the same room. I don't think we ever actually had a conversation but I did manage to steal a kiss one Christmas. Anyway, this particular day my friend and I were zig-zagging across campus playing aeroplanes, running really fast with our arms outstretched. Suddenly I tripped and literally flew through the air - a very smooth landing flat onto my face. Jeers and laughter erupted from a nearby classroom where Darren and his friends were all leaning out of the window. I was mortified and scurried away, bruised and bleeding to regain what was left of my dignity. Maybe at 17 we were too old to have been playing aeroplanes and I have certainly never played it since!

No comments:

Post a Comment