Tuesday 22 December 2009

Bah Humbug

Had the day off work and I wish I hadn't bothered. EVERYONE has crawled out of their houses today despite the fact that the roads are still icy and dangerous. Queues of cars going in and out of town, each with only one person inside. I got the bus which was full of pensioners who insisted on sharing their entire Christmas plans with the driver before flashing their bus passes. It felt more Christmassy 2 weeks ago when I had a few work dinners and parties to go to. (shhhhhh - us bankers are not supposed to have any fun). Now I'm just fed up with the whole thing AND I slipped over on the ice and knackered my knee.

The last festive family Christmas I had was about 20 years ago. My mum decided not to bother cooking Christmas dinner after my grandparents died and since then all I ever wanted was roast turkey and brussel sprouts on Christmas day, silly cracker jokes, a hearty family argument followed by a drunken sing-a-long.

One year we went out for dinner and had a great time until mum got caught smuggling a selection of posh liqueur glasses out under her party hat. Another year we all selected a microwave frozen dinner each and the year after that my dad cooked a delicious curry. I have even spent Christmas on the beaches of Australia, New Zealand and Africa. IT'S NOT THE SAME! This year my parents are off to Belgium on the Eurostar so I expect they will be spending Christmas at St Pancras Station. Dad's not too worried, he has filled a few bottles with rum and coke to keep him warm.

I am spending Christmas with the Jehovah's Witnesses (my boyfriend's sister and family). They don't "do" Christmas but we have been instructed to bring lots of alcohol and the wii so it might actually be quite fun despite there being no pressies.

Santa sent me a note saying he can't make until Monday 28th this year - the same day my parents get back from Begium/St Pancras. That's okay, I know what I'm getting anyway. A new toothbrush, a packet of alka selzer and a sherbert dip - same as he always brings. If I have been a good girl I might even get a bottle of booze thrown in. Never stop believing - he really does exist!

No comments:

Post a Comment