Thursday 25 February 2010

Agadoo

I've just got back from a week in Agadir, Morocco. Strange how every time I mention it someone starts humming the words to Agadoo. I did hear that song every night at the mini disco but my boyfriend said I couldn't join in even though I was wearing a mini skirt and anyway I would have felt a bit too tall.

Usually, all-inclusive hotels follow the same sort of pattern. An intrusive animation team that try to get you involved in everything from aqua aerobics to bingo, the same team staging rediculous cabaret shows in the evening followed by dancing to music that you can only contemplate when you are completely drunk on free beer. The food is usually barely edible, the same dishes being served up every day or added to something else and served up again the next day. NOT THIS TIME! The animation team were all really friendly but not pushy. The food was excellent, freshly barbecued in front of you with a wide choice of salads and delicious cakes. The snack bar by the pool made fantastic pizzas. The evening entertainment may or not have been any good, I really dont know because it was all done in French. Almost all the other guests were French and we only met one other English couple the whole week. Quite a nice change if I'm honest.

Really liked Morocco. The people were friendly but without pestering us as has happened in Egypt and Gambia. We felt safe to go for our long walks and for once I didnt even trip and sprain my ankle. Agadir only gets a cursury mention in most travel guides but I really liked it. Yes there are the tourist hotels at one end along the beach but if you walk into the town, the souk or the fishing port you can get a really good sense of the Moroccan way of life. We didnt get around to any of the many excursions so Marrakesh will have to wait till another time.

The weather forecast was completely wrong thank goodness. Rain had been forecast for the whole week but by the second day the sun came out and we got really sunburnt. Happy with that one day we didn't mind that it rained for the next two days - our frazzled skins could not have endured any more sun at that point. The next day the sun came back with a vengeance and got hotter every day.

A very enjoyable and relaxing holiday - exactly what I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment