Friday 26 February 2010

Bump - down to earth

The prawn lady (my mother) came to catsit while I was away. Although they were spoiled as only a grandmother without any real grandchildren can spoil a cat I think they missed me. All night long one or other or both of them would jump up onto the bed and stomp all over me, purring into my face and demanding some more affection. So it was that I arrived at work sporting two heavy black suitcases under my eyes, an ugly red scratch wound across my nose and a tan that is slowly turning into a blotchy smudgy dirt colour.

"You look well" everyone says pretending not to notice "where've you been?" and then the obligatory Agadoo tune follows.

By about 11am I finish sorting through my emails and realise there is lots of work to be done. By 4pm I am still working flat out and wondering what can be left till Monday. By 5.05pm I am fighting my way through the commuters and onto the train while at the same time wondering if I have even been away at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment